The White Bear Forest … an Old Growth Forest
The White Bear Forest takes its name from the last chief of the Teme augama Anishnabai first nation before the arrival of Europeans to this area. Since the 19th century, when Chief White Bear and his family used this forest as part of their hunting and trapping grounds, humans have done little to change this landscape.
In 1928, the Gillies Bros. logging company won the logging rights to about 500 square kilometers (200 square miles) of forest surrounding White Bear Lake (now Cassels Lake) and Rabbit Lake. While scheduling adjacent land for logging, Gillies preserved the 800 hectares (2000 acres) of the White Bear Forest in its virgin state for its employees and local residents to enjoy.
More information about the White Bear Forest History and ecology can be found on the Ancient Forest Exploration and Research (AFER) website … here
The White Bear Forest Trail System offers many hikes to outdoor enthusiasts of all levels.